Is Working from Home a Pain in the Neck?
Physio One’s TOP TIPS for today may just help keep that pain away!
When we sit down at our desks we all start with perfect posture, but even with the best of intentions over time we tend to fatigue and stray from this ideal position. And it’s even harder to maintain good posture when we’re working from home, away from our well set up offices. As time passes we have a tendency to slump through our lower back, round our shoulders and poke our chin forwards – often leading to discomfort and injury.
Our TOP TIP for the day is to put a post it on your screen, a dot on your hand, or a reminder on your phone… every time you see or hear that reminder try to reset your posture.
Here are 3 easy exercises to help along the way!
- Squeeze your shoulder blades back
- Sitting up tall, gently draw your shoulder blades down and back together.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds, rest, and repeat 10 times.
- Try to keep the muscles on top of your shoulders and under your armpits relaxed as you squeeze your shoulders back.
- Chin Tucks
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and head facing the ceiling. Use your fingers to feel your lower neck muscles.
- Gently nod your head to tuck your chin into your neck – make sure your head stays on the pillow and the muscles under your fingers stay relaxed.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Return to the starting position. Repeat 10 times.
- Bow and Arrow
- Lie on your side with your arms out in front of you.
- Bend your top elbow and pull it back behind you, twisting through your upper back as much as possible and looking over your shoulder.
- Repeat 10 times on each side.